Fellow country people hated Jesus Christ and abused him till death. However, the Son of God responded with love and he asked God to forgive his offenders.
Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do” (Luke 23:34). Some insults and abuse that Jesus suffered from his country fellows are as highlighted below:
1. People and their rulers said “He saved others; let Him save Himself if He is the Christ, the chosen of God” (Luke 23:35).
2. The soldiers mocked him and gave him vinegar to drink (Luke 23: 36).
3. The soldiers mocked him and said, “If you are the King of the Jews, save yourself” (Luke 23: 37).
4. His accusation was written on his cross for all people to mock with “THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS” Luke 23: 38).
5. Jesus was nailed to the cross alongside two convicted criminals (Luke 23: 39).
6. One of the criminals mocked Jesus and said, “If you are the Christ, save yourself and us” (Luke 23: 39).
7. Jesus cried in pain, and no one helped him; he eventually died on the cross.
The roadmap to saving the world was not easy for Jesus Christ. It was indeed “a tug of war” experience for him to succeed as a Messiah. Wicked people stalked and persecuted him wherever he went. Meanwhile, despite his struggles against bitter rivals, Christ mandated himself to carry out God’s assignments by all means. He preached God’s kingdom irrespective of any surrounding circumstance. Despite constant terror and persecutions, Jesus remained positive and he continued to do good things for people. He fed hungry people, raised dead bodies to life, and healed numerous diseases. In fact, the list of Christ’s goodness is endless!
However, the enemies persecuted Jesus Christ till death on the cross. Meanwhile, his death was not for a loss. Christ resurrected back to life on the third day to give life and hope for humanity. His death and resurrection experience became a “saving grace” for sinners, and it remains the only permanent route through which any person can escape death to possess eternal life. Anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and confess him as his or her Savior will be saved.
Prayer of Salvation:
Dear Jesus Christ, what a wonderful savior you are to suffer persecutions and death for the sake of saving my soul! I understand that you have paid the debt of my sins in full through your resurrection power. Therefore, I declare my faith in you that you are Jesus Christ, the Son of God! I confess you as my Lord, and I accept you as my personal Savior. Henceforth, I will serve you with all my heart, and I will faithfully follow you throughout the days of my life. So help me God! Amen.