May 1 – Jesus Has Established The Purpose Of The Gospel
May 1, 2022
Nicodemus who was a dignitary Pharisee secretly approached Jesus Christ to learn about the gospel that most Pharisees revolted against. Despite the unusual approach of a possible critic, Jesus seized the moment to enlighten Nicodemus about the gospel. The encounter might have meant something different to Nicodemus, but it was an opportunity for Jesus to save a lost soul. The Messiah spent ample time with Nicodemus discussing what it takes for him (and other people) to enter the kingdom of God. The scripture reported Nicodemus’ encounter with Jesus,
“There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.” Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit” (John 3:1-8).
Jesus Christ utilized every opportunity he had to preach the gospel to sinners while he was on earth. Despite the skepticism of his opponents, Jesus maintained a good attitude towards all people. He was not repulsive to anyone, but he accommodated whoever showed interest in his message. Out of his liberal heart towards Pharisees, Jesus answered all questions that Nicodemus asked. Those responses have become pinnacles of faith for all Christians. They have become iconic sermons, phrases, and clauses for believers to use for engaging lost sinners and lead them into God’s salvation. Jesus stated to Nicodemus:
1. “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God” (John 3:3).
2. “As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:14).
3. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
4. “For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved” (John 3:17).
5. “He who believes in Him is not condemned, but he who does not believe is condemned already because he has not believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God” (John 3:18).
Dear Jesus Christ, what a wonderful Lord you are! You have expounded the gospel for all people to benefit. You endured persecutions and expressed a loving heart during hostile people. You suffered various forms of abuse for the sake of saving the world! I love you Jesus Christ, and I promise to reciprocate your love with my life. Hence, I confess you as Son of God, and I accept you into my life as my personal Lord and Savior. I confess my sins and repent from them; I will serve you throughout the days of my life. I am utilizing this moment to ask for your grace to preach the gospel and tactically engage others until they surrender their lives to you. For in the name of Jesus Christ, I make my requests. Amen.